What Is Motorhome Storage?
Motorhome (and caravan) storage is a service that allows you to park your motorhome in a dedicated storage facility when it’s not in use – often for weeks or even months at a time.
Storage facilities range from highly-secure, dedicated compounds with 24-hour security to farmers’ yards. The best facilities offer benefits such as:
- CCTV, high fences and alarms
- 24-hour security
- Secure, gated access to which owners have individual keys
- Washing and toilet/waste water dump facilities for motorhomes and caravans
- Level, hard-standing parking
- Good access from major road routes!
Why Use Motorhome Storage?
Motorhomes (and caravans) are big, awkward things to store when they aren’t in use. Even if you have a driveway, it may not be big enough – and many people simply don’t have any parking at home at all. There are other reasons, too:
- Newer housing developments often have covenants which prohibit the parking of motorhomes or caravans on properties
- Security – if you keep your caravan or motorhome at home, then potential thieves know that when it isn’t there, neither are you…
- More security – good storage facilities are secure – much more so than the average driveway
Finding A Good Motorhome Storage Site
Most of the best, purpose-built storage facilities are CaSSOA registered – CaSSOA is the Caravan Storage Site Owners’ Association. CaSSOA sites are badged Bronze, Silver or Gold, according to the level of security they offer.
Storage for motorhomes, caravans, horse trailers and boats is also something that’s often offered more informally by farmers and other people who have large areas of flat land or barns that are unused – providing ideal parking for motorhomes and caravans.
Wherever you store your motorhome, make sure that your insurance company knows where it is and agrees to it. As with any car insurance, you have to state (truthfully) where the motorhome will normally be kept overnight. Failure to do this could result in your claim being refused if your motorhome is stolen or damaged while in storage.
How Much Does Motorhome Storage Cost?
The cost of motorhome storage varies, but from reading around various motorhome forums and seeing what people are paying, the cost seems to be from around £1 – £1.50 per day in most of the UK – more around London and south-east England.
Expect to pay more for higher levels of security and, especially, for undercover (indoor) storage. Similarly, larger storage bays (over 7m or so), can cost more.
Most storage companies charge by the year, although 3/6 month agreements may be possible.