I’ve broken down this guide into the stages I have been through with my own conversions. This is by no means a definitive guide and there are some bits missing – if you want heating, bottled gas or hot water, I’m afraid you are out of luck.
However, if you want some hints and suggestions to help you create a relatively simple but usable conversion, read on.
For a review of my thoughts on this conversion after 18 months of use, click here.
- Choosing a base vehicle
- Panelling and insulation
- Fitting windows
- How to make midge-proof fly screens for Seitz windows
- Carpet lining and flooring
- Furniture – side conversion
- A Toilet for a Small Van
- Electrical installation & Fridge
- Water & Plumbing
- Guide to all parts used in the conversion
- Insurance & the DVLA (changing the registered body type)
- Suppliers and other useful contact details
Although some aspects of this guide will apply to all motorhomes – e.g. insulation – much of it is aimed at relatively simple small van conversions, using vehicles such the Ford Transit, Volkswagen Transporter and Renault Trafic / Vauxhall Vivaro.
Disclaimer: All material is provided for information purposes and is my opinion only. I can take no responsibility for the accuracy, suitability, reliability or safety of the information in this guide.